Friday, December 9, 2011

Mediterranean Fennel Salad - A Recipe



In my last blog, I prepared fresh Barrimundi, an Australian white fish while I was in Cairns in North Queensland last month. I served this delicious fish over a fresh Mediterranean Fennel Salad. The flavors of the lemon, kalamata olives and the crunchy licorice of the fresh fennel really set off the flavor of the fish without overpowering it’s mild goodness.

As promised, here is the recipe for the Mediterranean Fennel Salad I made using a large, fresh fennel bulb from Rusty’s Weekend Market in Cairns.

Mediterranean Fennel Salad


1 large fennel bulb with leaves
½ cup pitted kalamata olives with juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 fresh lemon juiced
Fresh sea salt to taste

Chop the fennel bulb into thin slices and place in a mixing bowl. Chop fennel leaves, placing around three tablespoons in with the fresh chopped fennel. Chop olives and add to the salad. Drizzle olive oil and olive juice (to taste) and mix. Add sea salt to taste (there may be enough salt in the olives for you so try it before adding salt).

You can use this salad as a side dish or serve fish on top of it as I did this night. You may also consider sautéing the fresh fennel salad instead of serving it raw. Fennel bulb sautés nicely and maintains its licorice flavor.

This recipe was originally inspired by a private chef client of mine who asked me to prepare it for her each week. I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with you. I hope you try this one and that you enjoy using fennel bulb in salads and sautés for years to come. It is a great vegetable to add to your repertoire.

For more information on living a delicious and healthy life, see http://www.deliciousandhealthy.com/

For my 14 day gluten free and dairy free diet cookbook complete with a grocery list and product picks to take the guess work out of it, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment