Saturday, April 17, 2010

Glutino's Flax Seed Bread

I just bought Glutino's flax seed gluten free bread at Sprout's Farmers Market in Claremont, California. The cost was $5.49 for the loaf. Yes, that is expensive for a loaf of bread but when you're gluten free, you just get used to the high prices.

So, I made a sandwich with the bread. I toasted it straight from the freezer. The bread really was delicious and I was so very happy to have a sandwich! I don't get bread very often due to the high carbohydrate situation and also the widespread use of tapioca and potato starches. They can send your glycemic index up and can be tough to digest. In fact, I've had quite a few stomach aches after consuming baked goods with potato starch and/or tapioca starch.

I thoroughly enjoyed the sandwich! The bread had a great crunchy crust and tasted delicious. It was lighter and spongier than most gluten free breads and I was very impressed. I did however have a problem with the slimy quality of the bread. Have you ever noticed a sort of "coat the roof of your mouth" sliminess to gluten free breads? I think it's the xanthan gum but I'm not completely sure. It could well be the starches used. If you know what it is, share it here. Also, if you have tried this bread, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment