Saturday, April 24, 2010

What's Up With Sun Dried Tomatoes?

I get sun dried tomatoes in oil at Trader Joe's on a regular basis. They are an ingredient staple in my house since they are so DELICIOUS!!! So, Trader Joe's doesn't carry them anymore! Costco did not have them either - and believe me, a colossal jar would have been heaven for me to see when I open the fridge!

I finally found some at Von's (Safeway to you East Coasters). They were in the produce section rather than with the condiments as you would think. So, please ask someone in your store where they may be.

So, is there a shortage? YES!! Apparently Florida lost 70-80% of their crop this year due to an unexpected freeze (tomatoes are like me, they do not like the cold!). I read that people are stocking up on paste, sauce, anything tomato like. Me? You know what I will be buying up!

You will see prices continue to rise on tomato items through June or July when tomatoes will be back in season all throughout the country. It's just one of those things we will have to bear with, I think.

Maybe it's time to explore different flavors, making sauces for pasta out of less expensive ingredients. Get creative and let me know what you come up with!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I noticed that this was the case as well. There may be a type of 'bean' sauce that could be used as a substitute. Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete